A national talent

After playing in the All-State ensemble, junior Hannah Thurlby auditioned and played for the All-National Orchestra in Orlando, Fla.

Junior+Hannah+Thurlby+traveled+to+Orlando%2C+Fla.+to+play+in+the+All-National+Orchestra.+

Junior Hannah Thurlby traveled to Orlando, Fla. to play in the All-National Orchestra.

Olivia Dowell, Writer

Junior Hannah Thurlby was admitted into the NAFME All-National Orchestral on the oboe. Thurlby was the only BVNW band student to audition and be selected for this ensemble. While also being the only BVNW oboe player in the school’s history, she is one of the 11 selected in the nation.

Due to her spot in the Kansas All-State Orchestra, Thurlby said she had the opportunity to audition for the All-National Orchestra.

Band teacher Adam Lundine said students who participate in their All-State Orchestra are eligible to audition for the All-National Orchestra.

“She is really one of the most talented students I have ever worked with,” Lundine said. “It is a unique combination of her raw abilities as an oboist as a musician in general and also her flexibility and her humility.”

Junior oboist Angela Shilling said the All-National Orchestra is a top-tier ensemble.

“I know it’s a prestigious group and it’s quite an honor to be accepted to go to something like that,” Shilling said. “The hard working, committed and focused musicians like Hannah are accepted into it.”

To prepare for her All-National audition, Lundine said he and Thurlby put together her best work for her audition.

“We recorded an audio and video of her performing different selections for different solo pieces and ensemble pieces as well,” Lundine said. “She spent a lot of time preparing music for those auditions so she could put forth her best quality work.”

Hannah’s mother, Kristin Thurlby, said she enjoyed helping Hannah prepare.

“My favorite part of Hannah’s music is when I get to play with her,” Kristin said. “I feel very selfish for saying that but it’s true. I love playing music with Hannah.”

While Thurlby said she learned from other members of All-National Orchestra, she realized she may not be talented enough to have a future in music.

“I just was skeptical at first but I got there and everyone was so talented,” Thurlby said. “ It was really good to get out of the community and it was probably the highest level group I have ever played at.”