Digital illustration including various banned and challenged books in Blue Valley. (Liz LaHood)
Digital illustration including various banned and challenged books in Blue Valley.

Liz LaHood

A look into the process of banning books in Blue Valley and how this has come into effect this school year.

The retired books of Blue Valley

Last week was the 2021 “Banned Books Week.” Books such as “Tom Sawyer,” “Of Mice and Men,” “To Kill a Mockingbird,” “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” and “Lords of Discipline” are retired from being taught within Blue Valley classrooms. 

ELA teacher Valerie Golden said she understands why the books were chosen because of the language within them. 

“[The N-word is used] which is inflammatory, hurtful and vulgar language,” Golden said.  

Although Golden said she disagrees with the language used in some of these books, she also said they have a place in literature.

“I hate to see books [that get] taken away [from the] opportunity to teach those books and what we can learn from those books,” Golden said. 

Aside from that note, she said she also understands and respects students who are not always comfortable reading and discussing these novels in the classroom.

Along with Golden, librarian Craig Odle described the process of deciding whether or not books should not be taught in school.

“What we do is we look and we say ‘is this good literary material?” Odle said. “‘Does it add something to our patrons?’’

Odle explained how a book could potentially be challenged in the future, and how they might prevent it earlier. 

“We look at if a book is anywhere near the line, if it might be controversial, [or] if it might have some material that some may find offensive,” Odle said. 

Odle said it comes down to a decision based on guidelines put in place by the school district. 

“We take a closer look at it, and make a decision if the content is appropriate and if it meets the board of education guidelines,” Odle said.

Digital illustration of a stack. of novels. (Sabrina San Agustin)
About the Contributors
Photo of Alex Cowdrey
Alex Cowdrey, Managing Editor

Alex Cowdrey is a senior and Managing Editor for “The Express.” This is her third year on staff as a writer and designer. Outside of newspaper, Alex is involved in Team up for St. Jude’s, NHS, Quill and Scroll, and girl’s soccer. In her free time, she enjoys spending time with friends and family, playing soccer, and being outside. Alex is extremely excited to take on the role of managing editor and cannot wait to see where this year takes us as a staff!

Photo of Sabrina San Agustin
Sabrina San Agustin, Design Editor

Sabrina San Agustin is a senior and the Design Editor for “The Express.” This will be her second year as Design Editor and third year on staff. Outside of newspaper, Sabrina is part of NHS, NSHS, NEHS, Quill & Scroll, and she is a board member for NAHS. Sabrina also owns her own business where she sells her art online. In her free time she enjoys spending time with family, reading new books and watching her favorite movies. Sabrina is very excited to return to the role of Design Editor and can’t wait to help tell stories through art and design.