• Chapters
    • Chapter 1
    • Chapter 2
    • Chapter 3
    • Chapter 4
Back to Article
Back to Article

Winter sports preview

Junior Jack Chapman scans the floor for an option in the game against Shawnee Mission West on Dec. 7 at Shawnee Mission East. BVNW defeated SMW, 70-49, improving to 4-0 on the season.

Lindsey Owens

Lindsey Owens

Lindsey Owens

Winter sports preview

Check out a quick preview of each winter sport here.

December 4, 2019

Boys basketball

Back to Article
Back to Article

Boys basketball

Senior Markell Hood carries toward the basket during the game against Blue Springs, Nov. 30. BVNW defeated BSHS, 70-40.

Emily Farthing

Emily Farthing

Emily Farthing

Coming off of a 23-2 season that ended with a state championship, coach Ed Fritz and the Blue Valley Northwest varsity basketball team are looking to add another ring to their collection. Coming into the season ranked No. 3 in the KC Metro area and No. 1 in the EKL, Fritz said he hopes his team will live up to the expectations.

“We’re a very young team. So we really want to try to improve as the season goes along,” Fritz said. “We have a lot of expectations, so hopefully we’ll be able to be pretty good by the [end of the] year.” 

According to Fritz, the basketball team trained four days a week over the summer, getting ready for this upcoming season and in an effort to sustain the success of the past.

“You know we’ve had some good practices and some bad ones, but we have just been trying to work hard and get the young guys on page with what we’re doing,” Fritz said.

After losing seven seniors from last years varsity roster, the Blue Valley Northwest Huskies are coming into the season with a young team. With two returning varsity starters, senior guard Markell Hood plans to take on a leadership role.

“Coach Fritz is really good at getting players into a position where they will be successful at,” Hood said, “With the way coach Fritz coaches and prepares us for games, I think everyone will fall into place.”

Girls basketball

Back to Article
Back to Article

Girls basketball

Junior Megan Edwards dribbles the ball up the court in the varsity basketball sweetheart game.

Following a 7-14 record last season, head varsity coach Matthew Shulman returns for his second year at BVNW, hoping to see improvements in the teams’ ability to perform and succeed during the season, shulman said. 

“Our goal is to get better and that was kind of our main thing last year I think this year is going to be meeting the challenge,”Shulman said.

Despite losing four seniors, Shulman said he feels confident with the new group of girls he has this year. 

“I think we got a great group of kids and they work hard,” Shulman said. “They have shown a lot of dedication and put in a lot of time and effort into things.”

Along with Shulman, senior guard Emily Farthing feels that this year’s varsity group works well together and the success of the team will show if everyone is able to work together this season. 

“I think we’re all a very cohesive group so far and I think having everyone on board with our goals and hopes for the season is going to have a huge impact on our successes,” Farthing said.

Wrestling

Back to Article
Back to Article

Wrestling

Senior Danny Robinson holds an opponent in a pin on Jan. 16.

Lyndsay Owens

Lyndsay Owens

Lyndsay Owens

After qualifying ten varsity wrestlers for state last year, the wrestling team is looking forward to a successful season ahead. Upon losing many seniors from the wrestling team last year, head varsity wrestling coach Tim Serbousek said that the returning and new kids on the team display promising potential.

“We definitely have a light group of seniors this year, but the kids that are there are quality,” Serbousek said.

Individually qualifying for state last year, senior varsity captain Danny Robinson has high hopes for the wrestling team. Robinson said that as a team captain, he is always held accountable for practice, meaning no breaks and always working hard.

“We have these morning conditionings at six in the morning, so I gotta make sure everyone’s pushing themselves and not just jogging along,” Robinson said. “Everyone needs to be getting pushed.”

Despite having less seniors this year, both Robinson and Serbousek are looking forward to watching all the wrestlers improve throughout the season.

“We have kids come in, and I just want them to work hard and get better every day,” Serbousek said. “When they leave, I want them to be a good product for society.”

Swim and Dive

Back to Article
Back to Article

Swim and Dive

Senior Logan Beaman does a butterfly stroke while practicing.

After placing 11th at the 6A state competition and losing around 20 percent last year’s team, head varsity swim coach Kyle Farrington said that this year’s seniors have truly earned their positions as captains and that they’ve proved a strong work ethic that will help the rest of the incoming team. 

“Our senior group are admittedly people that have had to work a lot harder to achieve what they’ve achieved,” Farrington said.  “That kind of work ethic is what’s going to pay big dividends because then a lot of those younger guys are going to see how much our older guys invest. [The] seniors are good at keeping positive through that process, and that is going to help everybody out.” 

Senior Logan Beaman said that with the loss of many seniors who competed last year’s state competition, he is excited to see how the new team will perform. 

“Since we lost a good portion of our state team last year, we have a lot of work to get done,” Beaman said. “We have a lot of new swimmers, who have worked very hard and I’m extremely excited to see how they will turn out. It is important for the returning members and leaders to work hard and encourage those younger members.”

Farrington concluded that he is thrilled to see the improvement the team will have and that growing in skill is the most important thing this season. 

“I just look forward to working with these guys,” Farrington said.  “Swimming is nice because no matter where the kids start out, we can watch their improvement throughout the year. So it doesn’t really bother me how we place. I think this year we have a chance to get back into the top 10. I’m excited to see them improve more.”