Best rom-coms of the 2000s

With Valentine’s Day approaching, writer Addie Aadland watches and reviews this list of romantic comedies to help you decide how to spend your Valentine’s Day.
Prajwal Adhikari
Digital illustration of a scene from “The Princess Diaries.”
Best romantic comedies of the 2000s
A Cinderella Story
A Cinderella Story

“A Cinderella Story” came out in the later months of 2004. Over the years, this movie has been revamped into many new versions but is still circling around the same main idea. A Cinderella Story stars Sam (Hillary Duff), who has her very own pen-pal: Austin Ames (Chad Michael Murray), who is the quarterback on the high school football team. The masquerade ball is a night she will remember for the rest of her life. She got to live out her princess fantasy before heading back to her father's diner, where her stepmother (Jennifer Coolidge) treats her as a servant.

Shes the Man
She's the Man

“She’s the Man” was created in 2006. It stars Amanda Bynes, who uses her comedic talents to play Viola and Sebastian Hastings while landing herself in one of the most confusing love triangles ever. Channing Tatum was perfect as Duke Orsino. Whether it was their humor or their chemistry, together they make "She's the Man” a bubbly, charming, and quite funny take on a well-known classic.

The Princess Diaries
The Princess Diaries

The main draw of “The Princess Diaries” was the idea of a teenage girl becoming a princess. This movie became a large success in the early 2000s because almost everyone wanted what happened to Mia Thermopolis (Anne Hathaway) to happen to them. The romantic elements were there, but The Princess Diaries is mainly about a teenager finding out who to love and a widow trying to find love again.

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

Sometimes chemistry is all you need. Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey played the love interest roles in the 2003 rom-com, “How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days”. This story took an interesting path, as an advice columnist and a marketing executive first used each other for their careers. This back and forth movie is very entertaining, the tactics used to lose the guy in one perspective and get a girl in another. Like all good romantic comedies, after they spend a lot of time together, the feelings become genuine, and it gets more difficult to continue the ruse

10 Things I Hate About You
10 Things I Hate About You

In the 2001 rom-com, Kat Stratford (Julia Stiles) is forced to start dating because her younger sister Bianca (Larisa Oleynik) can't start dating until her older sister does. As long as the chemistry works between the leading characters, the romantic comedy will always work well in the long run. 10 Things I Hate About You is funny and heartwarming, with a healthy dose of teen angst and several scenes that have become iconic over the years.