Senior Alayna Pearson wins Metro Sports KC Defensive Player of the Year

Pearson received the award after playing in the Metro Sports KC All-Star game, beating out athletes across the Kansas City area.

Senior Alayna Pearson hits the ball in the sub-state tournament, Oct 23. The Huskies would go on to beat Olathe North High School 2-0, but later loose to Mill Valley High School 2-1. (Photo by Julie Dean)

Alyssa Gagnon, Sports Editor

Every year, Metro Sports KC hosts an all-star volleyball game with players they believe stood out throughout the previous high school season. These athletes are not only chosen to play in the game, they are also in the running to win various awards including the Metro Sports KC Player of the Year and Metro Sports KC Defensive Player of the Year.

Senior libero Alayna Pearson was selected to play in the all-star game. Pearson said she enjoyed getting to compete alongside other volleyball players throughout the Kansas City metropolitan area.

“The Metro All-Star game was kind of taking what they said were like the top players from Kansas and Missouri and we got to play against each other,” Pearson said. “There were so many people that I’ve either played with or have wanted to play with for so long. Like, I’m friends with all of them.”

After the game ended, the winners were announced, one of them being Pearson who was named the KC Metro Defensive Player of the Year.

“I felt more than anything just grateful to be recognized, because for a really long time, [defensive specialists] wouldn’t get recognized… just because they’re not the people who are making the big plays you could say, like hitting, blocking, anything like that,” Pearson said. “We’re in the back. We’re kind of doing all the dirty work. So I was just really grateful.”

After she graduates high school in December, Pearson plans to attend Texas A&M to continue both her academic and athletic career, with a goal to play her freshman year.

“I think if I keep working and am on the path that I am right now, I have a really great chance of playing freshman year. I think that coming in as a freshman, people already doubt you. They already are like, kind of hoping to see you fail because you’re the newbie, and I just want to completely defy those odds,” Pearson said.