Marching Band Performs Annual Glow Show

Marching Band Performs Annual Glow Show

The lights went off, the crowd cheered. The glow suits of 176 marching band members and 24 Dazzlers lit up, the crowd cheered louder. On Saturday, Oct. 27, the Huskies performed the annual Glow Show at the DAC.

Following performances by the Dazzlers and the drumline, the halftime show Beatle Mania was presented in complete darkness.  The participants wore black suits lined with battery-powered green glow sticks, making it seem as though there were 200 stick figures on the field.

Band instructor John Selzer said the best part about the show is the reaction from the crowd and the feelings it gives to his students.

“The lights go out, and the place goes nuts,” Selzer said. “The completion of the show, the screaming, the standing ovation, gives them the feeling of being a total rockstar.”

Selzer said the original Glow Shows simply had flashlights taped to band members’ legs. But a few years ago, when a parent found the glow suits sold online, the band decided to get some money together and use them in their next performance. Since then, the tradition has continued, each year bringing about excitement.

“I love having the suits and this show,” junior band member Daniel Wang said. “It’s an opportunity to have fun playing the music while also having fun with the glow suits.”

This last show had a thrilling reaction from both the crowd and the band members despite the harsh temperatures, Selzer said.

“It was much colder this year,” Selzer said. “But the kids were pretty cranked up so they didn’t let it bother them.”

Selzer said he hopes the band will continue the show for many years to come, as it is part of what defines the Husky marching band.

“This is a tradition that is unique to our school,” Selzer said. “Part of who we are is the Glow Show.”