“The Grinch”: A new take on the Christmas Classic

Staff Writer Izze Lentfer offers her opinion on the newest edition of "The Grinch." The movie came out on Nov. 9.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Debuting 18 years after the live action version,

Debuting 18 years after the live action version, "The Grinch" premiered in theaters on Nov. 9.

Courtesy of Universal Pictures

Courtesy of Universal Pictures

Courtesy of Universal Pictures

Izze Lentfer, Writer

The newest Grinch movie, “The Grinch,” is a cute, new twist on the classic Christmas story. Although remakes generally struggle to live up to its predecessor, “The Grinch” sufficiently satisfies the lofty expectations set by the 1966 animated version of “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” and the 2000 live-action version starring Jim Carrey, providing all viewers with a feel good mood to kick off the holidays.

This year’s remake follows, of course, the Grinch, and his hatred for the joyous Christmas celebrations in Whoville. When the Whos decide to make the celebration bigger and brighter, the Grinch realizes the only way to find peace and quiet requires him to steal their Christmas. Dressed as Santa Claus, and with the help of his trusted dog, Max, the Grinch attempts to rob the Whos of their favorite time of year.

Some of the biggest changes in the most recent edition of the Grinch include the characters Max and Cindy Lou Who. Max gains a personality and you are guaranteed to love him when you see his puppy dog eyes. Cindy Lou and her family dynamic also differ as she has a single mom in this version.

Cindy Lou Who’s wish is the major change in the plot from all past editions of this story. Her character is more important than it was in the past. She is no longer the little girl who is nice to the Grinch, but is a child with a very important wish for Santa Claus, regarding her family.

One of the biggest highlights of this movie includes Kenan Thompson as the “happiest Who in all of Whoville,” Mr. Bricklebaum. Known for his role on Saturday Night Live, Thompson delivers a hilarious performance. By far my favorite character from this year’s remake, the cute, little Mr. Bricklebaum provides lots of laughter for all ages.

The only criticism for “The Grinch” is how the character, The Grinch, is portrayed. It was not the acting of Benedict Cumberbatch, who plays the Grinch, but rather the writing of the movie. In the 2000 version, “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” viewers get a sense of how disturbing, disgusting and awful the Grinch is, which makes his change from evil to good that much better. However, in the newest version, the Grinch is portrayed as someone who is different from everyone else and hates joy. Although possibly intended by the writers, the remake neglects to tug at your heartstrings, which created a deeper connection in the other versions.

Big names such as Pharrell Williams, Tyler the Creator, and Pentatonix headline the movie. Tyler the Creator produced two songs for the film and expect to hear them on Christmas radio stations’ throughout the season alongside Pentatonix “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen,” which can also be heard on this film’s soundtrack.

Both made by Illumination Entertainment, “The Grinch” has some parallels to “The Secret Life of Pets” and the “Despicable Me” franchise. Fun easter eggs were hidden throughout the film, including the Grinch wearing Gru’s iconic scarf to steal a sleigh. Keep your eyes peeled to spot the others.

For anyone looking for a heartwarming, holiday movie, “The Grinch” is for you. For families’ especially, this will be a great movie to see this winter break. The animation can be described as cute and well-done. The fit of new and traditional storylines as well as characters blend perfectly in the remake, while the entirety of the film is adorable. This modern take on a Christmas classic will be perfect for all those grinches out there this holiday season.

1 Comment

One Response to ““The Grinch”: A new take on the Christmas Classic”

1. Brenda Senatore on November 16th, 2018 6:39 am

Great review of the comparisons and contrasts of the characters. I really like that the review included the soundtrack info. Now I know to check out the music.

• “The Grinch”: A new take on the Christmas Classic

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Answers to the December crossword puzzle

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Review: Twenty One Pilots concert

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Music album review: Spice.’s “pathos”

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Review: Bar K

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

How you should carve your pumpkin this year based off how you would decorate Mr. Potato Head

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Which boys varsity soccer player are you?

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Review: The Dapper Doughnut

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Which BVNW teacher are you?

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Little criticism for “Ant-Man and the Wasp”

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

“Incredibles 2”: Worth the 14 year wait