Sam Guinn is State Champion in the 1600 Meter Race

Junior Sam Guinn became the 6A state champion in the 1600 meter race this afternoon, and took second place in the 3200 meter race with times of 4:19 min and 9:17 min.

Although the team did not place all together in the meet, Guinn said there were many individuals who did well and had strong showings. Senior Alyson Youngdoff took second place in the 300 meter hurdles, the girls 4X4 team consisting of freshmen Hannah VanBuskirk and Isabelle Aube, junior Carolina VanBuskirk, and Youngdoff took fifth place, and sophomore Miles Alexander took sixth place in long jump.

According to Guinn, one reason for his success was how he planned for the effects of the wind on his race. The wind has been a factor all weekend and was blowing hard this afternoon, Guinn said, so he made sure he was not leading the majority of the race and drafted off some other runners to pull into the lead.

“I was thrilled [once I won the 1600],” Guinn said. “It’s something that’s been the goal since the beginning. It’s cool to do well in other good meets, but in the state meet, that’s something really special that can’t be matched with any other performance out there.”

Guinn said some major contributing factors to winning was consistency and believing in himself. Although he would have a bad race every now and then, Guinn said he would not let that get him down or discourage him. He would remain focused because the state meet was always in the back of his mind, Guinn said.

“I was very confident about doing well,” Guinn said. “But saying it and doing it are two completely different things. Next year I would like to return and defend my title in the 1600 meter and win the 3200 meter. I would also like to go for a record.”

samstatechamp