BVNW vs. BVH

BVNW won against BVHs at Friday’s Varsity football game.  As a part of the celebration of BVNW’s 20th anniversary, alumni football players were invited to the game and honored during half time.

“I’m ecstatic,” Head football coach, Mike Zegunis said. “It was a good win for our players.  You know, they didn’t play a great first half; for them to stick with it, and stick with the game plan and keep battling and come out and did the job that they did was really exciting.”

In the first quarter, BVH got a touchdown and made the field goal putting the score at BVNW 0 and BVH 7.  After a series of incomplete passes by the Huskies, the score remained 0-7 through the first quarter.  After several fumbles by BVH and BVNW, the score stayed at BVNW 0 and BVH 7 to the end of the second quarter.  In the third quarter, senior Bailey Strohl became injured in an attempted catch, and was consequently carried off the field for X-rays.  Shortly after, senior Sam Chadick made first touchdown for BVNW, and with the addition of the field goal, tied the Huskies with the Tigers 7 to 7.  With 11 minutes left in the fourth quarter, Sam Chadick made a 22 yd. run down the field, and senior Austin Moses made the second touchdown for the Huskies, putting the score at BVNW 14 to BVH 7.  The Tigers then ran 71 yds. down the field, making a touchdown with 9:36 minutes on the clock, thus tying the Huskies and Tigers again, 14 to 14.  As the game progressed into the fourth quarter, Chadick made his second touchdown of the game with 5:34 left in the quarter.  After making the field goal, the Huskies became in the lead, BVNW 21 to BVH 14.   With 55 seconds left in the game, Chadick intercepted the Tigers pass, solidifying the Huskies’ win.

“It was a great team effort, but we always talk about how you never know when you are going to get your chance to shine,” Zegunis said. “Tonight Sam Chadick with the interception at the end, he had his chance to shine.  And Kyle Pottinger, you know, he’s got a dirty job, he’s got a thankless job unless you’re a football guy.  You know, he doesn’t get his name in the paper by making the blocks that he made today, but there’s no doubt he was a huge reason why we were able to move the ball on the ground tonight.”

According to Zegunis, every football game will be a battle for the players.  Although the games won’t be easy, Zegunis said if the players keep fighting, they will feel satisfied with their performance.

“You know, next week, tonight’s win isn’t going to make any difference with the team that we’re playing,” Zegunis said.  “We got to get out and perform next week so, we can just keep getting better as a football team, and hopefully keep enjoying nights like tonight.”