Sophomore StuGo fundraising: Serenades and surveys

Sophomore StuGo began two different fundraising events this week. They sold carnations and Ukulele Club serenades, and they distributed a “Matchomatics” survey that will produce students’ “perfect matches” and “exact opposites.”

Justin Lehtinen

Senior Peter Hartman and sophomore Ben Murdock help people order carnations and serenades during lunch.

Olivia Baird, Online Editor

This past week, the sophomore Student Government (StuGo) introduced two fundraising opportunities for students at BVNW to participate in. They sold carnations along with Ukulele Club serenades, which will be delivered next week, and they also distributed a survey yesterday that will produce students’ “perfect match” and “exact opposite” for a cost.

Sophomore class president Ben Murdock said the proceeds from both fundraisers will go toward putting on the 2017 prom, which the current sophomore class will be responsible for.

The carnation sale took place Feb. 1-4, and students were presented with the options of buying one carnation, one carnation plus a Ukulele Club serenade or three carnations. The carnations and serenades will be delivered during advisory Feb. 11.

“We’ve been working with the Ukulele Club this year for their serenades they’re doing with our flowers,” Murdock said. “We’ve had a decent amount of sales; it’s picked up throughout the week as people have remembered to bring in money.”

Ukulele club president Peter Hartman said the proceeds from the carnations and the serenades are separate. He said all the money that comes from serenades will go toward the club’s Relay for Life team.

“[StuGo] already [has] their system for carnations worked out, so we’re just going to be accompanying the StuGo members,” Hartman said. “Each StuGo sophomore is going to be accompanied by a pair of ukulele members, so when there’s a serenade in that advisory, they’re just going to come in with them and perform.”

Hartman said he chose the song options for the serenades, which were “I’m Yours,” “You and I” and “Lean on Me.” The serenades will include one verse and one chorus from each song. He said the students willing to perform in front of advisories attended practices separate from the biweekly Ukulele Club meetings.

“We’re having a big review session over all the songs (next week), and then we’re having kind of a playing test over each pair and make sure that they have each song memorized and that they’re comfortable performing the song in front of a group,” Hartman said.

He said since this is the first time carnations are accompanied by serenades, he is excited to see students’ reactions

“I think the thing I’m most excited for is to see how the school reacts to it, and whether they think that it’s super cute and super fun, or whether they’re going to be confused as to why there are people singing in their advisory,” Hartman said.

In addition to the carnation and serenade sale, the sophomore class StuGo also coordinated a “Matchomatics” survey. Sophomore class sponsor Megan Geenens said the survey asks personal questions in order to assign “perfect matches” and “exact opposites” within the student body.

“In advisory this week, every grade [took] a match survey,” Geenens said. “We’ll ship those back to this company in Canada, they’ll process the results, and during spirit week at lunch you can purchase your result.”

Geenens said there will be two options: for $3, students will receive their “perfect match” in their own grade, and for $5, students will receive their “perfect match” in their own grade and another grade, as well as their “exact opposite.” She said she anticipates a lot of curiosity surrounding the survey’s results.

“Hopefully it will make a lot of money for us, because I feel like once a couple people get their results, then that’s just going to spread and people are going to be so curious that they’re going to want to know their match,” Geenens said.

Murdock said the sophomore StuGo members hope students enjoy their results without taking them very seriously.

“I’d hope that it’d just be a fun experience, because it’s obviously not serious,” Murdock said. “Yeah, some things may develop from it, but we expect it to be a lighthearted thing where you joke around with it and have fun with it.”