Students place fourth in EKL art competition

Sarah Hirsch, Online Editor

On Monday, the art department sent 40 pieces of art and 10 students to compete in the second EKL art competition. BVNW placed fourth overall based on their pieces in addition to events such as art history trivia, charcoal drawing and chalk art.

“It’s always difficult to pick out students because everyone is so talented,” art teacher Chris LaValley said. “We just aim to pick out people that we think will mesh together and represent our department well.”

One student who participated was senior Wyleigh Greer. She took second place in the painting division for a geometric piece based on a pattern she found in the skin on her wrist.

“It feels nice to place this year because I put a lot of work into the piece I submitted last year but I didn’t place,” Greer said. “I think it’s nice to finally get some recognition this year.”

Greer said she has enjoyed the competition both years because it has given her a chance to compete against students with the same interests as her, which she does not usually find in an academic setting. LaValley said she looks forward each year to seeing the students work together.

“It’s beneficial [for the students] mainly because it gives them a chance to compete in something that is their passion,” LaValley said. “You see a lot with the sports and a lot of time the arts kind of feel like they’re neglected a little bit. This way, [the students] get like some recognition for something that is important to them and show that what they do is actually important.”

The theme for the competition this year was “patriotic.” Greer said this translated into the various competitions fluidly, such as American art history trivia and creating a Husky version of Rosie the Riveter.

“All those events are fun, but in the end, you really want to find out if your piece placed,” Greer said. “You freak out whether or not you won anything or not.”

Although the competition has only occurred twice so far, LaValley expresses optimism for the future.

“Every year we do it, we understand a little more about it,” LaValley said. “We try to choose some people who have been previously and some underclassmen so they can share knowledge and know what to expect the next year.”

1st place winners:

Madi Elpers–Drawing

Betsy Cha–Sculpture

Romeo Portillo–Ceramics

Jennifer Faucett–Drawing

Carolina VanBuskirk–Drawing

2nd place winners:

Wyleigh Greer–Painting

Mallory Iszard–Drawing

Madi Elpers–Sculpture

Abby Lanphear–Sculpture

Alex Antuna–Drawing

3rd place winners:

Lindsay Somberg–Painting

Grant Dyer–Sculpture

Lily Timberlake–Photography

Stephanie Barner–Photography

Emma Rockey–Drawing