Upcoming Tardy Tracker system brings new tardy procedure

Next week brings changes to the student tardy procedure with a new computerized system.

Olivia Baird, Writer

A new computerized system, called the Tardy Tracker, will be introduced soon to BVNW on Monday, Jan. 13 and change the procedure to keep track of student tardies. Administrator Chris Legleiter explained that the program aims to better reinforce the school’s tardy policy. Now, when students are late to class without a pass from another staff member, they will report to the main office and get a tardy pass.

Legleiter said the primary difference between the current system and the Tardy Tracker is that with the upcoming system, consequences will be administered after four tardies from any class, as opposed to being punished for four tardies in each class. Principal Amy Murphy said a problem with the old system was that technically, a student could be tardy up to 21 times with no punishment, since they were given warnings up to three times in each of the seven classes before office referral.

“Before, if you had four tardies in one class you would get an office referral,” Legleiter said. “Now, in hours one through seven, if you get four tardies total out of all of those classes, you will get a consequence.”

The consequences for four tardies are similar to those of the old system, Legleiter said, however it is no longer up to individual teachers to assign punishments to students. According to page eight of the student handbook, a 60 minute Thursday School detention is assigned after four tardies, 90 minutes after five, three hours after six and ISS after seven.

“Right now, unless the teacher gives you a consequence, you have no punishment,” Legleiter said. “The consequences are still progressive, where if you get more tardies the punishment will increase with each additional tardy.”

Legleiter said the purpose of the Tardy Tracker is similar to the purpose of any tardiness program and will hopefully reduce the number of students late to class. Murphy added that the new system provides a smoother procedure for both students and staff members.

“Ultimately, we want kids in class,” Murphy said. “With us running tardies through the office, it makes it easier on teachers as well. It holds kids a little more accountable for where they’re supposed to be, and it lets teachers focus on teaching rather than worrying about keeping track of tardies.”

Murphy said she will make an official announcement of the new system to students tomorrow during the school day, and include more information in her weekly emails to the BVNW community.