Husky Night celebrates fall activities

The annual celebration of fall activities took place last night at the DAC. The event put emphasis on student involvement and doing what you love within the school community.

Delaney Garcia & Tyler Jehle

Maddison Barley

Dazzlers walk out to dance a kick-off performance for Husky Night. The event emphasized the importance of fall activities.

Husky Night, the annual fall sports and activities kick-off occurred last night to celebrate student’s involvement in extracurricular activities. Different groups of students walked across the track in front of their parents at the DAC, followed by a speech made by 2008 BVNW graduate, Laura Roxberg.

Roxberg is currently a teacher and the head cross country coach at Blue Valley North. She holds BVNW’s school record for the 800 meter race, is the only four time high school 6A champion in cross country that Kansas has ever had, and she is a Big 12 1600 meter and 1500 meter race champion.

Having participated in not only cross country and track, but also being a photographer for the school newspaper and a representative for student government, Roxberg spoke about the importance of being involved as a Husky.

“Being in high school is such a fun time in life, and [BVNW] is such a great environment,” Roxberg said. “I hope students just take advantage of all the opportunities that they have to get involved.”

According to Husky Night coordinator, administrator Steve Harms, this event created a time for BVNW parents to recognize students who are involved in activities outside of the classroom.

“[Husky Night] is about our community because they came out and supported us on the hottest day of the year,” Harms said. “It’s a way to say what you do outside of hours one through seven is important.”

Principal Amy Murphy said Husky Night is designed to encourage those who are not involved to join an activity.

“If we have students who are sitting up here in the stands not involved, we want them to say, ‘Hey, I want to be in that, I want to be one of those kids walking across [the track].’”

Roxberg concluded her speech by saying how important she believes it is to do what you love and what you do best, even when it may be different from what most people have accepted as the normal way to do things.

“When it comes to the race of life, Northwest has given me the training and skills it takes to be successful,” Roxberg said.