BVNW Varsity Soccer Wins Third Place At State

At the State consolation game, BVNW won 3-1 against Shawnee Mission East. This put BVNW with a third place finish at the State Varsity soccer tournament.

BVNW scored the first goal with 35:11 left in the first half. This was followed by a goal from SME with 16:31 left in the half, tying the score for halftime. BVNW scored two more goals during the second half to win the consolation game and take a third place finish at state.

Senior Paul Fletcher said that BVNW played lazily and was not really into the game but once the first goal was made, the team got into gear. Fletcher said that this places BVNW as the top team in the Kansas City area since there were only two teams from the Johnson County area represented and BVNW beat the other team.

Coach Rick Pribyl said he was happy with the game. Pribyl said that it is difficult to play a consolation game, but he said that the players had fun.

“The [players] had fun and they enjoyed playing the game,” Pribyl said. “They played relaxed and we were able to get in all the players, which is hard to do. They were tired from last night and to be able to come away, after last night, psychologically it’s tough to play a consolation game when you know you should have walked away with the victory.”