Senior Night Soccer Game Moved To Thursday

The senior night soccer game has been moved from Friday Oct. 19 to Thursday Oct. 18 due to a conflict. According to principal Amy Murphy, there was going to be a football game with BVW v. BVSW at the same time as the BVNW v. Shawnee Mission East game. Murphy said it is difficult to house two large games at the stadium, and even more difficult when the home teams are from different schools.

“It is harder when you have two different schools because you have to run two different sets of cash boxes and ticket takers,” Murphy said. “We have done it with BVN before a couple of times and it just really does not work well.”

Murphy said different solutions were explored, such as playing the game earlier, but different concerns arose from this option.

“We were concerned about parents being able to get there,” Murphy said. “Would we be able to get done in time to get crowds out in time for football to start on Friday? So, we decided, let’s just make it a double header. It is senior night for both groups so we will make it a whole Husky Night.”

According to senior soccer player, Paul Fletcher, the change will not impact him as much as it will impact fans. Fletcher said it is kind of disappointing, since a lot of fans will not be able to come to the game.

Murphy said fans will be able to buy one ticket to get into both games. The upper concession stand will be open to allow fans to move between the two games, Murphy said. The solution should not impact the different senior nights, Murphy said, since the football team and the cheerleaders will have their ceremonies before the game and then the band and soccer team will have their senior night at half-time.

“I know that it is not the best, but sometimes we have to go with the best of the least [ideal] solutions,” Murphy said. “I know the [players] would rather have two separate nights but we will make this work and it will be really cool.”