Sturdivant to leave BVNW for Texas

Transferring to Marcus High School in Flower Mound, Texas because of his dad’s promotion, sophomore wide receiver J. Michael Sturdivant leaves after playing two years of varsity football for the Huskies.

Ethan Knauth, Online Copy Editor

The ability to start on the varsity football team as a freshman is a rare trait for a BVNW football player according to head coach Clint Rider. Yet, one and a half years ago, sophomore J. Michael Sturdivant did just that, starting at wide receiver.

“The ability to start as a freshman is something that we haven’t had for quite a while,” Rider said. “J. Mike has been one of the most talented kids we have had come through the program in quite some time.”

In the wake of receiving the starting role for the 2017 season, Sturdivant posted a 29 catch, 349 yard and three touchdown stat line. In the 2018 season, Sturdivant was limited to only three games because of a collarbone injury. Despite this, he was able to post a nearly equivalent stat line to the year before, with 18 catches, 206 yards and three touchdowns.

After scoring a touchdown in each game he played in his sophomore season, Rider said he would have loved to see Sturdivant further develop his skills in a Husky uniform.

“I would have loved to have seen him develop into the player that he is going to become,” Rider said. “It would have been fun to see his talents come to fruition and do it in a Husky uniform. We’re going to miss him.”

Stating the football program will take a hit in losing Sturdivant, junior receiver Evan Ranallo said everything will work out, with younger receivers ready to step up in his place. In addition, Ranallo said he believes Sturdivant will succeed in the Texas football environment.

“I think he’ll show out,” Ranallo said. “He’ll be able to hopefully go to college and maybe further if he plans to.”

With Sturdivant’s father, Mike Sturdivant, receiving a promotion at his company, Regus, Melodie Sturdivant, Sturdivant’s mother, said via text that it was the right time to move.

“The school system has a strong academic record and we’re excited for J to perform well in the classroom to get ready for college,” Melodie said. “He will continue all of the extracurriculars he enjoys. The time was right for a move”

With his career as a Husky finished, Sturdivant said he enjoyed his time at BVNW and with the football team. Looking forward, Sturdivant said he’s excited about the prospect of playing Texas football and the additional attention it could bring.

“I’m just excited to see what that’s going to look like,” Sturdivant said. “It’s going to be a good two years of exposure to get me to college.”

In 2017, then BVNW sophomore quarterback Jacob Clark transferred to Rockwall high school in Rockwall, Texas. After two years down south, the quarterback signed on to play Division 1 football at the University of Minnesota.

Since Sturdivant’s high school career track so closely mirrors Clark’s, he hopes to achieve similar results.

“[We have] really similar paths,” Sturdivant said. “He’s a really good quarterback and I believe that I’m a pretty good receiver. We both have the same end goal, a Division 1 school, so I just hope I can get there too.”

According to Rider, Sturdivant’s aspirations are a very real possibility, claiming he could be playing on Saturdays in the next few years. Regardless of the outcome, Rider said he wishes Sturdivant the best and is eager to follow the rest of his career.

“I love J. Mike. I wish him and his family the very best,” Rider said. “We are looking forward to following his career.”