A stricter approach to bullying

Kanishka Mehra

According to the National Center for Education, about 21 percent of students from age 12 to 18 reported being bullied at school during the 2015-2016 school year.

Paige Fulenwider, Writer

Since my first day of kindergarten, I have endured bullying. In the beginning of the harassment, it was based entirely off my curly hair. Everyday a fellow student would come up to me and pull my hair or she would tell me how unpleasant my curls were. I thought this classmate would leave me alone after I went to report her to my kindergarten teacher and principal. However, the bullying got worse. Since I am now older, I understand her bullying was rooted in her own insecurities. Because she was insecure, she resorted to bullying others to make her feel better about herself. Eventually I got assigned to a different class from her and I have avoided her since. However, her previous bullying continues to bring me down.

If she had reached out for help, there would have been a chance for her to discover her good traits. Differences are nothing to be ashamed of. Everyone is beautiful just the way they are.

Unfortunately people go through drastically worse experiences than mine, ultimately  making my experience of being bullied by my hair a walk in the park in comparison to someone getting harassed for their mental state. I have firsthand witnessed a disabled student thrown into a locker, which thankfully has never happened to me. Due to the way people speak and act, they are scrutinized for conditions they can simply not control. This is disgusting and inexcusable behavior.

In some instances, bullies are given no punishment because there is no physical evidence or the bully denies it. Some of my friends with mental disabilities have experienced harassment for their disabilities and the bullies were left off the hook. This should not continue. There needs to be stricter punishment for such acts. The students that bully need to expelled because of the negative impact they have on their victims.

Principal Dr. Amy Murphy said she and Kansas administrators are not permitted to suspend a student for more than 10 days. If there is a serious bullying case and she believes the student is deserving of a suspension of over 10 days or an expulsion, she has to make a recommendation to a hearing committee. I urge these hearing committees to use expulsions more liberally in bullying cases. There must be harsh consequences for bullying to ensure that they do not do it again. From being bullied for curly hair to disabilities, no one should have to put up with this. There should be zero tolerance for bullying; big or small.