Serving Success

Junior Elizabeth Trupp only attends school for five periods due to her involvement in competitive tennis. Trupp and those close to her describe how tennis has affected her life.

Serving+Success

Sara Rooney, Writer

Both a student and tennis player, junior Elizabeth Trupp has had to find a way to manage her lifestyle. Trupp has been playing tennis for over seven years and because she plays at a top level, she is required to leave school early on a daily basis for practice and preparation.

Trupp plays for a club tennis team at Elite Squad Tennis Club and also participates in tennis at BVNW. Because of her involvement in the competitive team, Trupp attends school for hours one through five and plays tennis for the remaining time left in the day.

“I have practice either 1 to 4 or 2 to 4 every day, that’s all five days of the school week,” Trupp said. “On Saturdays I play 1-4, and  Sundays I usually take off”.

Trupp said that her schedule has improved since last year. As a sophomore, Trupp was expected to play tennis in the early hours of the morning and finish off the day with school and an additional practice later that evening. This year, Trupp’s practice is at the end of the school day – which she said she responds to much better.

BVNW tennis coach Ted Fabiano said Trupp participated in her first tennis practice of the year on Sept. 6th, despite her involvement in competitive tennis. Trupp has been playing tennis for Fabiano for three years now, and Fabiano said she has improved greatly.  

“Between last year and this year she has clearly put a lot of time into her tennis,” Fabiano said. “[She’s] really elevated her level of play from last year. It has been very impressive what she has been able to accomplish”.

tennis
Photo courtesy of Elizabeth Trupp.

Even though Trupp only attends core classes, she is still expected to fill the necessary requirements through online classes. This can prove difficult due to Trupp’s busy schedule.

Lori, Trupp’s mother, said Trupp still manages to complete her school work on time and maintain the high school credits required.   

“[S]he is a really efficient time manager.” Lori said. “She uses her inbetween time or downtime really well. If we’re going places, traveling in the car or traveling to tournaments she always has work with her and things to do. She’s actually pretty detail-oriented and stays on top of herself. That’s something she manages on her own”.

Even with the hours of work Trupp puts in, her family supports her. Lori said Trupp is committed to the work and because it is something she enjoys and is passionate and dedicated to, therefore so is her family.

“I want to play college tennis really bad,” Trupp said. “Specifically, I don’t know where. I’m working on that right now with my coach.”

Although Trupp’s college is undecided, she said she plans on going to a division one school to pursue her tennis career. She also takes an interest in smaller colleges on the east coast.

“She has goals and things she is working to accomplish,” Lori said. “[T]he fact that she…has that passion, and wants to set those goals, and is willing to put in the time and effort to achieve those goals shows it’s a priority.”